Multiple Massachusetts restaurants and chefs made the 2023 James Beard Award semifinalist list.
The list includes all the semifinalists across the country in award categories such as best chef, outstanding hospitality and best new restaurant among others.
- Read more: James Beard Foundation picks Blue Heron in Sunderland, Daily Operation in Easthampton as semifinalists for awards called the ‘Oscars of Food’
Twelve Massachusetts restaurants and chefs were included in the list of semifinalists for the James Beard Awards, which is “considered to be among the nation’s most prestigious honors,” a press release said. It also recognizes “exceptional talent in the culinary and food media industries, as well as a demonstrated commitment to racial and gender equity, community, sustainability, and a culture where all can thrive.”
Here are the semifinalists in Massachusetts in each category:
- Rachel Miller, Nightshade Noodle Bar in Lynn
- PAGU in Cambridge
- Red Rose Restaurant in Lowell
- Vinh Le, Cicada Coffee Bar in Cambridge
Best New Restaurant
Outstanding Wine and Other Beverages Program
- Rebel Rebel in Somerville
Best Chef: Northeast (CT, MA, ME, NH, RI, VT)
- Valentine Howell, Krasi in Boston
- Yahya Noor, Tawakal Halal Cafe in Boston
- Yisha Siu, Yunnan Kitchen in Boston
- Derrick Teh, SEKALI in Boston
- Ellie Tiglao, Tanám in Somerville
- Douglass Williams, MIDA in Boston
Nominees will be announced on Wednesday, March 29, and winners will be celebrated at the James Beard Restaurant and Chef Awards Ceremony on Monday, June 5 at the Lyric Opera of Chicago.